In honor of National Dog Day, I thought it only fitting to write about the best man in my life: Mr. Thunder.
I’ve heard of couples who have been married for 30+ years–the adorable ones you see walking hand-in-hand through the mall looking so in love, so happy–eventually looking, talking, and thinking the same.
I’ve heard of fathers and sons, mothers and daughters who listen to the same music, cheer for the same sports teams/players, wear the same perfume and even share the same mannerisms (I can belch like a sailor–thanks dad–and have picked up on my mom’s uncanny ability to sense when someone is feeling a bit down, instantly jumping at the chance to make them laugh, turning that frown upside down. That expression is actually something that I learned from my mom as well!
These are all things that are sure to happen when one lives and spends time with another person over an extended period of time; in fact, it’d be weird if it didn’t. You begin to sense when the other is sad, hungry, excited or scared. You learn and get accustomed to each others weird habits and hobbies (like eating peanut butter straight out of the jar and having to check inside the shower before stepping in because the movie Psycho scarred you for life. I mean, I don’t do these things but…)
But the one thing that I never took into consideration was how much you and your favorite four-legged and furry friend could just act like twinsies.
Case-in-point: Thunder from down under and yours truly.
I’m pretty convinced that if I had a tail and Thunder had boobs, people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between us.
Maybe his hair is a tad more blonde than mine, but other than that…
Here are just some of the things that prove just how in-sync we are with each other:
4. And what goes better than some trashy TV/a good book and some serious couch time than with some junk food. Drooling over freshly made chocolate-chip cookies is mandatory (and perhaps hereditary?)
5. We both have bladders the size of a small pea. “When you gotta go, you gotta go.”
6. Whenever someone mentions a “ROADTRIP!/CAR RIDE!”, we are the first to “SHOTGUN” that situation (again with the drooling! We should really get that looked at.)
7. Every once in a while, we like to get all gussied up in our finest attire. And let me tell you, we know how to party.
8. Nothing says summer than a day on the lake!
9. We are THE CHEESIEST Packer and Brewers fan ever and won’t hesitate to jump on the couch with glee Tom Cruise style when a winning homerun or touchdown is made!
9. We both try to live each day to the fullest, stopping to smell the turtles (?) and not taking advantage of any minute, any second that God has blessed us with.
10. We are appreciative of the beauty all around us, whether that be in nature, in the kind hearts of people, or in ourselves.
11. And lastly, and most importantly, we love to love. We don’t waste an opportunity to spend time with the ones we love, telling them and showing them how much they mean to us.
My Thunder and I go together like peas and carrot flavored chew toys.
Let’s just hope I don’t pick up on my pup’s habit of licking his friend’s butts. Somehow I don’t think that would go over very well the next time my pals and I get together ;)
If you’re lucky enough to share your life with [wo]man’s best friend, be sure to give them an extra dose of love today (and maybe a bone or five). And if you don’t have a dog, I urge you to consider adopting/rescuing one from your local animal shelter. There are so many lovable pooches out there who need a great home. You’ll be making a difference in the lives of these amazing animals, and they will most definitely be making a difference in yours.