1. They know exactly how you like your eggs cooked (scrambled with maple syrup).
2. And how you take your coffee in the morning (milk with just all of the sugar).
3. They buy you dusty copies of your favorite book for your birthday (or just because it’s a Tuesday).
4. And sing along with you to your favorite songs (anything by Styx or Third Eye Blind) while you’re both hilariously, horribly off-key.
5. They ask you about your childhood, how you got that scar on your right knee and the one movie that really moves you/makes you cry ugly tears (Lion King, I’m looking at you buddy).
7. Basically, all the little moments in life that are seemingly irrelevant, they care about.
8. You think to yourself and actually tell them that they are the best person in the world…and you really mean it.
9. They’re the person you want to call when you’ve just seen something amusing only they would find the hilarity in (All right I’m done with this. Let’s go to Denny’s!)
10. And when you’ve found a passage in a book that made you stop for a moment and think, you want to tell them instantly and get their take on the powerful words.
11. You’re not sure how they do it (there has just GOT to be some Harry Potter magic going on!) but they seem to take notice of all the little things (the way you freak the beans out every time you get stopped on a hill when driving your stick-shift and how you have to have a handful of peanut M&M’s after every time you brush your teeth).
12. And they somehow like you all the more for those things.
13. They know just the thing to say or do to make you laugh on the regular.
14. And know your favorite food orders to bring you in times of great stress (or when you are just plain hangry–pretty much anything in the ice cream and/or chocolate family. Or French toast. Or pizza. Or, well, food basically because yum. Except for fish because you both agree that no one should eat anything that smells so….fishy).
15. The absolute best moments with them aren’t in the pre-planned nights out, but instead are found within the unexpected.
16. Like eating pizza on the couch, watching New Radio and laughing till it hurts.
17. Or confessing your guilty music pleasures (Hanson) on a road trip.
18. They’re the first person you think about when you wake up, and the last person before you go to sleep.
19. They’re the person you have the most fun with, the person that makes you smile from ear to ear, the person who makes all of the trouble and stress and worry of the day/week/month seem to disappear whenever you’re around them. They’re the person who brings out the best in you, the confident, funny, brave and all-the-time giant goofball of a person.
20. How do you know that you’ve found your person? You look at them and just know. You feel it in your gut. You feel in your heart. This is my person. If and when you are lucky enough to find this special someone, there really is no greater feeling in the world.
Whether it be a sister or brother, a mom or a dad, a best friend or boyfriend/girlfriend, finding a person, your person, is a very rare thing. Don’t take for granted, not even for an instant, the smiles, the laughs, the ridiculous car karaoke sessions and late-night Netflix marathons. Let your person know how much you care about and appreciate them every chance you get.