I love Thanksgiving.
I really do.
Of course there’s the delicious food (hellllllo stretchy pants!), the football and the famous Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. But what I love most about this holiday is spending time with family and friends, and taking a moment (or five) to reflect and celebrate what it is that we’re truly thankful for, the things that give us joy and make our hearts smile.
It’s a holiday that while steeped in tradition, can take on many forms.
For example, some of us are Tofurkey enthusiasts, while others are devotees of the deep-fried turducken. Some of us are Turkey Trot running champs and other live for the most epic of food coma naps (followed by a little pig skin on the big screen). Thanksgiving is one of the few traditional holidays that really celebrates our diversity as a cultural melting pot, which basically means you can take the holiday and run with it however you like. Harry Potter-themed Friendsgiving? Go for it! Around the World in 80 Turkey Dishes Potluck? Sure, why not?!
However we choose to spend it, our Thanksgiving celebrations are about the same thing–showing gratitude for what we have.
Well, that and pie.
I wanted to take some time today to shed some light on just some of the things in my life that make my heart smile.
Here are just some of my Thanksgivings (and I encourage you to share yours in the comments below!):
1. My awesome and crazy family who love me–and put up with me—no matter what. I truly drew the lucky card when I got them, and am so incredibly blessed to have such an amazing group of people in my life. Cue the awwwwww.
2. My awesome and even crazier friends who love me–and put up with me no matter what. Y’all know who you are and I owe each and every one of you the biggest of bear hugs. Cue the double awwwww–good golly I’m pretty damn adorable on Thanksgiving.
3. Harry Potter. Because duh.
4. The Milwaukee Brewers. Because double duh.
5. My faith, my courage, my strength and my willingness to never, ever, never ever give up.
6. Good hair days.
7. Bad hair days (because it really makes you appreciate the aforementioned good hair days.)
8. The kindness of strangers.
9. Ben & Jerry’s.
10. Ben & Jerry’s.
11. Ben & Jerry’s.
12. Sweats (especially after all of the aforementioned Ben & Jerry’s.)
13. Soul-hugging, mind-tingling, heart-pumping, belt-it-out-in-the-shower-or-in-the-car music.
14. The experiences, the challenges and the moments in my life that have helped shape me, making me who I am.
15. The experiences, the challenges and the moments in my life that have yet to happen that will help to shape me, making me who I will be.
16. Hugs (the candy and the verb).
17. Freshly baked cookies, a hot shower, vanilla scented candles and oversized hoodies.
18. The ability to say no, but the courage to say yes.
20. And Billy Murray.
Have a fantabulous Thanksgiving, frannnnds!🙂