This coming Sunday, the Green Bay Packers will travel to Seattle to take on the Seahawks, battling it out on the gridiron for the NFC Championship. It’s sure to be an exciting game, and if this past season has taught us anything, it’s that the Green and Gold are a force to be reckoned with. With a stellar head coach, an indestructible defense and a powerhouse of an offense lead by the one and only Aaron Rodgers (*sigh*), the Packers hold a solid place in not only the standings, but in the hearts of people everywhere.
Growing up in the great state of Wisconsin, being a Packers’ fan was a birth right, an honor and a privilege. Wisconsinites like to say there are two seasons: Packer season and the off-season. Churches schedule their services around game time on Sundays, people walk around with cheese on their heads and fans think nothing of freezing their keesters on a -36 degree weather day when it means taking in a game at the Frozen Tundra aka mecca.
There are many teams in the NFL, many great and wonderful teams (or so I’ve heard.) But there is only one team that’s America’s team, and that team is the Green Bay Packers, my friends. Here are just some of the reasons why everyone should be a Packer’s fan.
1. Have any of the other teams in the NFL had a coach who was immortalized in a Broadway play based on his life? I think not. Vince Lombardi was just one of those few coaches (and human beings) who really knew how to build a team up. He was a leader, a visionary and a true icon in all senses of the word. Vince, you were and always will be the man!
2. The Packers are all about community. In fact, they are the only publicly-owned major sports franchise in the country. People invest in the Packers out of football love, not profit. I mean, how American is that?!
3. Speaking of community, the Packers have a tradition (one of many) where every summer during pre-season training, young fans line their bikes up across from Lambeau Field in the hopes that they will get to chauffer their favorite sport heroes into the stands. get the chance to give their favorite sports heroes a ride into the stadium for their pre-season practice. How cool is that?!
4. Tailgating is an art my friends, and no team or fan base knows how to do it better than the Packers. At Lambeau Field, you can get a brat, a cold beer (or five) and a lively chorus of “Go Pack, Go!” while smooshed next to a guy wearing a large cheesehead and bright orange hunting overalls. You tell me what sounds like more fun.
5. Lambeau Field. The Fenway of football stadiums. The Grey Poupon of mustards. The Apple of all phones. Where a game isn’t just a game; it’s an experience. If you have never been to the frozen tundra, make it a point to plan a visit. Like, yesterday. The crowd, the food, the field and the overwhelming sense of being in the exact place where legends once stood, where legends are made is a pretty surreal feeling. Take it from personal experience, a game at Lambeau Field will never be forgotten.
6. The Lambeau Leap.
7. Two words: Aaron Rodgers.
9. Oh, and let’s not forget the wicked chops (and dance moves) the defensive line has OFF the field. Pitch perfect indeed, fellas. 😉
This Sunday as the Green Bay Packers take the field in Seattle, be sure to don your finest Green and Gold, your cheesiest of hats, and cheer on with your bad self. After all , it is the American thing to do.