If there’s one thing I love more than books (and baseball. And men in baseball pants. And ice cream. And good hair days), it’s crafting. There’s just something about glue, paper mache, stickers, a great idea, and an endless supply of creativity that gets me excited. Like, really excited! You can imagine then my level of embarrassing delight when I discovered the next best thing since sliced cheese: bookish crafts!
I’m a little obsessed with buying books guys, I’m not gonna lie. New books, old books. Paperback or hardcover. I want, need, gotta have them all. It used to be that I had too many books and not enough bookshelves, but now it’s gotten to the point where I have too many bookshelves and not enough apartment. Can’t stop, won’t stop. Of course there are the books that I will have forever, rerererereading them on the regular (Harry Potter, here’s looking at you kid), but then there are others that while I enjoyed, I sadly haven’t touched in years. They sit on a shelf or in a box, collecting dust and taking up space. These are the ones that would make the perfect canvas for an awesomely awesome book craft. Now there are some literary purists who couldn’t and wouldn’t dream of deconstructing a page-turner of any sort in the name of DIY, however I think that if you can find a way to still enjoy the books you’ve accumulated over the years in a very uniquely awesome way, go for it!
Here are just 10 ways to creatively reuse your books!
1. Do you have a wall in your house/apartment that needs a little love? Cover it in pages from one of your favorite books! No, seriously. How cool is this? It adds a bit of flair while at the same time providing your guests with ready-to-read reading material.
2. Take those old hardcover books that are falling apart and turn them into a colorful headboard! It’s super easy to do and will give your bedroom an instant POP of color and literary inspiration!
3. This book purse would be the perfect accessory to carry all of life’s essentials: keys, chapstick, wallet, chocolate and of course…your book(s) du jour.
4. If you’re feeling particularly crafty and want to create a unique lighting display, convert your old books into a lamp. Find out how to do this yourself here!
5. A bookshelf made out of books? It may be a bit like book-inception, but it’s also the coolest thing ever! I’m always looking for ways to stack, display, and organize my books and this floating bookshelf may just be the thing!
6. What time is it? Time to dig into a fantastic book! No need to worry about running late ever again with this adorable bookish clock. Creating one is as simple as marking the center of the book, drilling a hole, and attaching the clock. Done and done.
7. Another great way to use old book spines that have seen better days is to turn them into bookmarks. Stop dog-earring your pages now with these super cute page-savers. They also make for excellent gifts (although if you’re like me, you will want to keep them all for yourself!)
8. Similar to creating your own wall paper with pages from dictionaries or your favorite books, you can do the same thing with your coffee or end tables. Add a touch of pizzazz and personality with these funky décor pieces, making them the focal point of any room!
9. You can buy literary art like this at dozens of shops on Etsy, but who would want to do that when you can take 5 minutes and make it at home yourself. By using pages of books as printer paper you can easily print any design, image, or quote as a silhouette, creating your own unique handmade literary art. Love!
10. Combining new technology with old classics you can create this awesome DIY iPhone dock by picking out your favorites and using them as the base for your homemade phone charger. See the directions and how to do this yourself here!
With a little creativity, some craft supplies and a few dusty books, you too can design your very own amazingly beautiful and bibliocentric home!
Now if you excuse me, I’ve got some serious crafting to do!
Right after I unstick my fingers from each other. Super Glue is no joke, guys.