Numbers are simple things aren’t they? Yet when thought about in a different way, they can take on a whole different meaning. For example…
- 5: Age when I had my first kiss. It was with my childhood best friend while watching Land of the Lost, and it was equal parts sloppy and magical.
- 6: Times I’ve seen Styx in concert. Domo mori goto, Mr. Roboto.
- 2: The (giant) cups of gloriously caffeinated coffee I had earlier today to help me make it through this Monday-est of Mondays.
- 43: DAYS UNTIL OPENING DAY FOR THE MILWAUKEE BREWERS!!!
- Too much: Amount in dollars I’ve spent on books within the last year alone.
- Never enough: Number of books I currently own.
Here are a couple more numbers for you real fast….
- *42% of 1st-3rd graders report wanting to be thinner and 81% of fifth graders have an extreme fear of becoming fat
- *The average American woman is 5’4″ tall and weighs 140 pounds. The average American model on the other hand is 5’11” tall and weighs around 110 pounds.
- *Americans spend of $40 Million dollars on dieting and diet-related products each year.
- *24 million: The number of people, both male and female, in the United States who suffer from some kind of an eating disorder.
- *9 million: The number of those 24 million aforementioned sufferers who recover and go on to live a happy and healthy life.
I am also a number. I am ‘1’ of the 24 million people who have fought, battled and struggled with an eating disorder. I am also ‘1’ of those 9 million who have fought, battled and struggled with an eating disorder….and WON!
Let me throw you “1” more number.
1: If I could have ‘1’ wish, it would be to give hope and inspiration to everyone out there who may be going through not only an eating disorder, but are facing anything difficult or challenging in their lives. I want to let people know that it is possible, that there is hope. I am ‘1’ and sometimes, ‘1’ is just enough. Enough to foster a change, to bring awareness and to encourage others out there to take back their lives, completely and whole-heartedly ED free!
This week is incredibly important to me. You see, it’s National Eating Disorder Awareness Week (NEDAW) and I very much would love it if you could all help me out with something. Just like with my mom’s famous chocolate-chip cookies, having ‘1’ is great, but having more is even better.
There are sadly so many people who are impacted by eating disorders worldwide; many of which who suffer in silence. It may be your sister, your best friend, your college roommate or your daughter. It may be your teammate, girlfriend, brother or cousin. For this reason, it is my hope, my ‘1’ wish that you and I can all do SOMETHING to remind others that they are in fact, beautiful and special, unique and amazing, funny and kind, just because they exist. They are all these things because they are perfectly imperfect.
So who’s with me?! Let’s work together to shoot that 9 million recovery statistic to the stars!
Remember, you are ‘1’, but sometimes ‘1’ is just enough.
For more information on how you can help, check out The National Eating Disorder Association website here.
*Information obtained from the National Eating Disorder Association