How you bes? Despite the gloomy and rainy early spring weather that we’ve been having down here in Cartersville, GA, I be pretty swell. Every now and then, I love me a good rainy day; it gives me an excuse to stay in and chilax a bit, possibly curl up with a good book (oh who am I kidding? I am SO getting my read on!),
do some baking,
or even catch up on some of my guilty TV pleasures.
Now I don’t know if I could have this kind of cloudiness all the time (so sorry Seattle; I’m dying to visit you but I just don’t think I could take the constant state of wet that you’re in), but every now and then I welcome it with open arms. Especially on occasions when I can do this:
Earlier today as I was waiting for my grilled cheese to, well, grill, I got to thinking. Some of my deepest thought-provoking and philosophical meanderings occur while standing over the stove, waiting for my grilled cheese to get the perfect consistency of ooey gooey. Needless to say, I spend a good deal of time using that noggin of mine. Anyway, as I stood in the kitchen, spatula in hand and the lovely smell of nearly burnt cheesebutterbread permeating my nostrils, I couldn’t help but think of why no one hasn’t invented a grilled cheese scented candle or air freshener yet. It didn’t make sense. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good Vanilla Buttercream Frosting or Apple Pie candle any day (I currently have 4 which I refuse to burn because they just smell so good!), but man oh man how amazing would it be to have a grilled cheese burning the midnight oil?! Or pizza? Or how about bacon? Am I right? I’m talking to you Yankee Candle people. I think I just might be on to something here. ..or maybe it was just the hunger talking.
As I casually flipped my sandwich over to get that equally perfected carmalization on the other side, I started to think of other things that just didn’t make sense to me, things that made me go, “Huh?”
- Garden Gnomes-creepy little men with hats bigger than they are standing watch over people’s garden vegetables? HUH?
- Brail written on the drive-thru windows of banks, fast food restaurants and other walk-up services? HUH?
- Skinny jeans that take the force of the cast of 300 plus the cast of Braveheart to put on and take off and make whoever is wearing them walk like they have an extreme wedgie? HUH?
- Speaking of wedgies, can we talk about thong skivies (aka butt-floss) that have about an ounce of fabric but cost an arm and a leg? HUH?
- Why don’t adult menus come with fun coloring and activity placemats like kids’ menus do? I mean I like a good dessert wordfind and chicken finger connect-the-dot like every now and then. HUH?
- Traveling TO a vacation spot always seems to fly by a lot faster than traveling FROM your vacation spot back home. HUH?
- What was up with PigPen from Peanuts? Didn’t his parents ever stop and think to teach him the ways of a shower or bath? HUH?
- Twi-Hards (or uber obsessive Twilight fans). HUH?
- Or even worse…Beliebers (uber obsessive Justine Bieber fans). HUH?
- Or even worse that that?! Twi-Hards and Beliebers who are my mom’s age! HUH?
- Having to take my flip-flops off when going through airport security. HUH?
- Getting bags of chips that approximately 13% chip and 87% air. HUH?
- Cubs fans. HUH?
- The fact that drinking milk straight from the carton seems to just taste better than when poured in a glass? HUH?
- A simple hug from mom can make everything better. HUH?
There are oh so many things in this crazy and wonderful life that make me go, “Huh”, but I think that is, in part, what makes it so crazy and wonderful. These things leave me guessing, leaves me in wonder. They make me ponder and ask questions and think over grilled cheese sandwiches. After all, if we understood everything, where would the fun or adventure be? Where would the endless discussions and light-hearted disagreements be? Where would the persaverance for growth and learning be? It’s good sometimes to be senseless.
Especially when it comes to Cubs fans.
Have a great rest of your night guys!
Question of the day: What are some of the things that you just have to say, “Huh?” to?